The Council of the Baltic Sea States’ Task Force against Trafficking in Human Beings (CBSS, TF-THB) and Södertörn University in Stockholm, Sweden has the pleasure of inviting you to the digital conference:
The role of media in shaping the understanding of Trafficking in Human Beings: Compassionate communication in a global media landscape
The conference is organised within the CBSS international project Towards thoughtful, informed, and compassionate journalism in covering human trafficking (THALIA), which explores the role of media and journalism in shaping our understanding of Human Trafficking. As most citizens will knowingly never encounter human trafficking and may not have sufficient knowledge on the issue, media can have a crucial role in awareness raising as their reporting is often the most common source of information. Engaging current and future journalists to accurately and compassionately shed light on the issue of human trafficking must be a priority. Therefore, one of the main objectives of the THALIA project is to partner up with students and teachers of journalism in the Baltic Sea Region in the work against human trafficking, and to raise the awareness on the topic among future journalists.
Within the frame of the project, workshops and seminars on the topic of media and human trafficking have been organised in the CBSS Member States. So far, over 450 journalist students have participated in interactive activities giving them a comprehensive insight on the issue of human trafficking, and valuable tips from renowned journalists experienced in covering trafficking and related crimes.
The conference will discuss questions such as:
- What is the role of media when it comes to shaping the general understanding of human trafficking as a crime and phenomenon?
- Which human trafficking exploitation forms are covered by media in our region and beyond?
- How do we avoid stereotypical reporting on the topic?
- How can state agencies and organisations partner up with media in order to further raise awareness and prevent human trafficking?
- What steps can universities take to increase the knowledge on the topic of human trafficking, among future journalists?
The CBSS invites journalist students, journalists, NGOs and anti-trafficking stakeholders to register for the conference.
Date: 7 December 2021
Time: 9:30 – 15:15 CET